Obesity in Surgery and Anaesthesia
BMI >30 kg/m2
- difficult venous/arterial access.
- ↓ mobility → ↑ risk of DVT/PE.
- Drug doses—difficult to determine.
- regional blocks difficult.
- Associated diseases:
- Type II diabetes mellitus
- Difficult to maintain airway (greater soft tissue mass)
- ↓ FRC esp. when supine
- ↑ O2 requirement,
↑ CO2 production.
- ↓ lung compliance → IPPV necessary, higher pressures
→ atelectasis, pneumonia postoperatively.
- Hiatus hernia more common → aspiration
- surgery longer and more difficult → ↑ blood loss.
- wound dehiscence