- Transient substance-induced alteration in consciousness, cognition,
perception, behaviour, affect.
- Compulsion, tolerance, withdrawal, neglect of other activities.
- Tolerance (habituation)
- Increasing stimulus required to produce same effect.
- Have you ever felt you ought to cut down
- Have people annoyed you by suggesting you need
to cut down your drinking?
- Have you ever felt guilty about your drinking?
- Have you ever needed a drink first thing in the morning?
- Reduced control
- Neglect other activities
- Persistence despite evidence of harm
- Sterotyped drinking
- Psychotherapy (Alcoholics Anonymous)
- Medical (disulfiram, acamprosate)