Definition: Illusion of movement.
- Meniere's disease
- benign positional vertigo
- epidemic labyrinthitis
- cerebellopointine lesion (acoustic neuroma,
- drugs (esp. aminoglycosides)
Repeat for the other side. Positive=benign positional vertigo.
Other cranial nerves arising from cerebellopontine
angle should also be tested: V, VII. There may be mild ipsilateral
- sit patient up, and explain
- grasp his head
- lie him down
- turn his head to one side
- if positive, you will see nystagmus towards the affected side.
Vestibular sedative: e.g., cinnarizine or prochlorperazine.